[stylist] Opposite gender for main characters

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 9 22:20:49 UTC 2012

Vejas,

I'm sure you will have an abundance of responses to your question, but
there's nothing wrong with creating main characters who are the opposite
gender of yourself. Plenty of authors do this such as J. K. Rowling who
is female, but her Harry Potter series has a male protagonist; Anne Rice
often has male characters in the role of protagonist; Susan B. Cooper
often has opposite gender main characters; I can't recall the author at
the moment, but Water for Elephants is written by a female but the main
character perspective is a males, and Neil Gaimon has written short
stories with a female protagonist. These are just a very few I can think
of off the top of my head.

As the creator, you can do whatever you want. As long as characters are
realistic, no one will care if characters are the opposite gender of the
writer. No weirdness to be considered, grin.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan