[stylist] Opposite gender for main characters

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 9 22:38:51 UTC 2012

I agree with what you say, Brad, however I'd like to add that it also
depends on how you characterize characters, ha-ha! Meaning, you may have
a 50-year-old man who uses slang more commonly used among teens and
twenty-something's, but he's a stoner, or tends to hang out with younger
people or just trying to stay "cool." Or you may have a 20-year-old
female college student who speaks like a professor and reads books on
string theory. Age and gender doesn't necessarily mean certain
vocabulary and personality traits will be attributed to any given
character. In general, yes, what you suggest is true, but a writer
determines all this when developing characters.

During university, I wrote a story for a fiction workshop, but I based
my characters and plot off of real people and situations. My mom-in-law
was one of the characters. Mom will wear any clothes hanging around,
old, new, her's or my dad-in-laws, etc. She goes without make-up a lot
and reads books typically popular among a much younger audience. She
loves her horses and is outside a lot no matter the weather- hence the
wardrobe. So I established my character, who was the same age and gender
as well as a mom, but classmates said a mom wouldn't act and dress like
that. They didn't like the unorthodox mom figure, which I found funny
since it was all based off of my own mother-in-law.

Anyway, when creating characters, anything goes. The writer must
determine an entire back-story for each character. A lot of writers will
write pages and pages of stuff never intending to use any of it because
it's simply a way to "map" out and define each character. In order to
have those complex, realistic characters, the writer needs to know the
entire back-story even if it isn't stuff readers will ever be privy too.
I guess J. K. Rowling has bundles and bundles of papers that are just
things she wrote about characters and plot situations so she knew where
things were going and who her characters were. She even did this for her
minor characters, but never intended to use it for the actual books.

I'm straying a bit, but I'm just trying to say that age, gender and even
socio-economic background, doesn't always place a character into one
mold over another. A writer must, however, establish this so their
characters come across realistically  to readers.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan