[stylist] disturbing, entertaining and illuminating

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Tue Jan 10 11:57:52 UTC 2012

Vejas,

I actually think 'Snow Flower and the Secret Fan' was a great book, and
would classify it as literary fiction--not horror or any other label you can
think of. Yes, the tying of the womens feet in China in the 1800s was
horrible, but it was also real. That was a cultural thing they really
did--even into the early 20th century. Class differences and seperation
existed then, just as they do today, and in my view it was and still is
tragic. The fact that the story stuck with you is a sign of great writing,
in my opinion. It made you think, made you feel, touched you emotionally and
stayed with you. In fact, it may even have changed you in some way--and
isn't that the goal of our art form?
To me, the goal of writing is to entertain, and to illuminate.
'Snow Flower and the Secret Fan' did both very well.

chris