[stylist] More about my story

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 10 23:14:30 UTC 2012

Vejas,

I wouldn't necessarily ask people how to change the plot of your story
especially when just an outline since we all can take different
approaches and styles. Don't let what others say initially detract you
from your original outline. Once you have some drafts, people can
provide feedback as to what they thought worked and didn't work, and
suggest possible areas to revise, but until you have something more
concrete, it's difficult to say where any changes can be made. You have
a pretty thorough outline here so I say start writing before asking for
advice and suggestions.

Having said that, you have a pretty intricate plot involving a lot of
relationship dynamics. Good writing, I learned, will involve sub-plots
weaving among the over-all arc of the story, which can enrich your
characters. However, be careful characters and plots don't get lost
among all the intricacies especially since it seems as though you plan
to have quite a few characters who will play significant roles. Be
mindful of characterization and creating material necessary for plot
structure and characterization and not just adding unnecessary material.
Also watch that each character is distinct enough so readers don't
become confused about who is who in a story.

You sound like you have a good handle on where you want this to go.
You've really thought and mapped out a good beginning for this story.
For me, I find that beginning the writing process, my characters and
plot take shape more so than when just thinking and working on outlines.
It's good to have an initial outline, but often, once you start writing,
the story will take on it's own life; it will go where it wants to go,
grin. This is just my approach, but even with detailed outlines, when I
actually write it, it often doesn't go the way I want it to, or I find a
new direction. Of course the writing process is as unique as each
individual writer, so you need to find what works for you.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan