[stylist] Reading scary/disturbing material

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed Jan 11 15:12:47 UTC 2012

Bridgit and all,
I don't draw a distinction between disturbing stuff in literature and
disturbing stuff in real life. For instance, NPR did a story about France
this morning mentioning Joan of Arc. There was only one fleeting mention of
her being burned at the stake, but it's always bothered me. I agree that we
need to know what goes on in the world, that trying to pretend human beings
aren't capable of the most outrageous cruelties leaves us unacquainted with
the truth and unprepared for life, but sometimes you just need an escape,
which you certainly don't get from the evening news and most of what's on
the tube. That said, fiction is a powerful tool for acquainting the reader
with the realities of the world, and sometimes the writer draws things
together with a happy or at least just outcome, which would probably not
happen in real life.

Each writer has to work through these issues, and having once decided upon a
path, the writer may not hold to it forever. Over the years, it seems that
John Grisham, for instance, has become more jaded and less inclined to give
the reader that happy but unrealistic ending.

In my novel, "The Heart of Applebutter Hill," I tried to split the
difference in terms of rectifying injustice. Without giving away the plot,
I'll say that I provide the reader with some satisfaction that the bad guys
have been found out and put in their place, but that because of power and
wealth, penalties are not distributed even-handedly.
Donna