[stylist] Writing sample, untitled book or novella

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 14 03:41:02 UTC 2012

I don't like to comment on work already published unless the author
specifically request this, but unpublished work, in my opinion, should
be open to feedback so we can try our best to create as superior
material as possible. My writing background is steeped in the workshop
environment, so it's pretty ingrained in me to read carefully and
analytically.

Good and bad feedback provides an insight into the mind of potential
readers, and any writer must understand their target audience and write
for them. Ultimately you must make a decision as the creator, but
identifying your audience and knowing what they want is very crucial. To
glean what an audience wants, we need to seek out feedback of some kind.
Stylist is a good resource for finding some feedback when utilized in
this manner. I think any writer should seek constructive criticism in
order to assist the writing process. Even if you decide to not follow
suggestions and advice given here, at least you have a community in
which to gather feedback of some kind. We don't always agree or share
similar views on how to construct a story, but again, it's good to get
feedback from all mindsets in order to make the best choices for you.
Sometimes a person can suggest something or point something out we
missed or failed to think about, and it can be very helpful.

So anyway, the editor and analyst in me can't help but to read this way.
Personally I believe it important and crucial to get this feedback, and
especially in a format like this, you can either take it or leave it. I
think Michelle has a really good story with a strong start. There's no
single way in which to present a story. I made a few suggestions based
on my views and opinions, but again, as an author, it's ultimately up to
an individual to make certain writing choices. It's always interesting
to see rewrites.

Good luck, Michelle and look forward to reading more from you.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan

Message: 2