[stylist] Thank you!

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Sun Jul 15 23:30:46 UTC 2012

To my writing friends here on the Writers Division:
I am not sure if I stopped to write a note before I left for our Girlz Art Camp Adventure or not. I just want to say thank you for the committee (s) who worked on the writing projects for the contest. I was absolutely astounded to find I had won a prize in poetry and in Memoir. Thank you for the opportunity to enter the contest - I have never entered a contest before for writing! Thank you for the hard work the people did when reading and discussing th many works. I do appreciate it so much.

And, I thought you would like an update on our art camp adventure. We came home yesterday, tired and very happy. I came home with several ideas for writing stories, too, and I am turning the ideas over in my mind and hope to begin putting them down soon before they fly away.

Mission is completed:  the one week trek to southern Ohio to do our GIRLZ ART ADVENTURE in the woods.  I came back a very happy "camper."

I completed a project there, and started a new one - that was really fulfilling.

The big bonus from our art camp was the visits we had from a stray cat who came to beg from us - she arrived like a ghost at 7 am one morning as I opened our door to begin my beading that day.  I turned away to make some coffee, and when I looked back it was like I saw a delicate dance taking place there in the early morning light in our doorway. It was so magical and beautiful to be greeted by this lovely cat.
She was afraid of  us and we could not touch her but, We gained her trust through FOOD.  Chopped up chicken breasts, milk, cheese, tuna salad, and hamburgers did the TRICK.

We could tell she had babies after we got close to her. Now, that was our worry. This was a remote place - not at all friendly to having a cat and kittens about - the camp was very upscale and we were certain that the camp owners would not at all be wanting wild cats about the place. We were absolutely certain she would not be fed or cared for in this place.

She eventually led my daughter to her nest of FOUR little secrets - oh, gosh, what to do?  How could we go home knowing there was a mother and four babies hidden away there with no food source and no water anywhere - and nobody around.  Yes, we eventually got them all and brought them home - they are here in my home now resting up from the dramatic rescue - the mother is wild so it was very traumatic for her.

I am happy to say they ALL are using the litter boxes - and the mother is letting me pet her!  I guess our next move will be to get them all to the vets in a few days - after I can finally get to pick up the mother, that is!  I have named her Effie Pearl. Her four little fluffy children are:  Opal; big Boss (yes, this one seems to be the hog); Peaches (She is light orange and I think will be long haired) ; and Diamond Back because this black stripped kitten has a very distinct diamond shape on his back.  I will keep Effie Pearl and Opal, and will be finding homes for the other three when the time is right for that. Now, a visit to the vets will be in order. So, I am pretty busy taking care of these little critters.

Our GIRLZ ARt Camp Adventure was wonderful. We hiked in the mountains, walked trails, explored caves, (some) did the 10 zip lines (not me- did not seem like a great idea for a blind person to be doing this); did exercises and cardio in the evenings, walked up and down a very steep mountain hill ever day, and more. We all came home very happy.This is my kind of vacation - beading every day for hours, mornings and nights, and laughing till we cried with friends over silly and crazy things. I think I need to write a new blog this week on our art camp experiences.

Lynda River Woman