[stylist] what are you currently reading?

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Tue Jul 17 16:53:57 UTC 2012

Vejas,
I have just finished "Crossing the Yard, Thirty Years as a Prison
Volunteer..." by  Richard Shelton. I have met Mr. Shelton once when he
critiqued the poetry of a friend of mine, and they generously let me sit in
on the cession.
He is a professor of Creative Writing, now retired, at the U. of AZ. He
volunteered for thirty years with the prison system, and this is a story of
the harrowing happenings within that system, and the unique criminals he got
to know so well, and how the activity of writing actually created change
within many of this clientele.
It is a heart-rending story, and one I think everyone should read for the
information it imparts about breakdowns of prison populations, the mixing of
them, the brutalities that are magnified because of the system, etc.
Richard Shelton is a poet, well-known in AZ with eight books, many of them
prose, as well as the poetry books to his credit. He was a friend of my
mother's.
This book is available through NLS
I think it should be required for all, your age, and my age.
Jackie.