[stylist] The problem with memoirs

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 1 19:00:00 UTC 2012

Vejas,

First, Cheaper by the Dozen is a fictionalized account of a true story,
so it's not actually a piece of nonfiction, but loosely based on the
real family.

Second, to answer your question, my emphasis at university was creative
nonfiction- memoir, personal essay, etc., so I will try my best to
explain this. Even the experts can differ on definitions, but in a
nutshell, autobiographies tend to be written in a linear order, are
typically about famous figures and celebrities and are told in a more
traditional fashion. Memoirs often read like novels because they do not
follow linear timelines, use more literary techniques like dialogue,
scenic development, metaphor and imagery, descriptive language and most
memoirs seek for a universal meaning. Where an autobiography strictly
addresses a single person and their life, a memoir uses a person's
personal experiences to find a relatability factor; to discover a
universal. In The Clan of the One-Breasted Women, Terry Tempest Williams
uses her families history of cancer to tie it in with environmental
issues.

Autobiographies also usually tell an entire life story where memoirs
tend to focus on a single moment in a persons life, or focus on only a
few fragments but not an entire life story.

Memoirs are usually more stylistic, as mentioned above, which is why
they read like novels. Autobiographies don't rely much on descriptive
language and scenic development. However, publishers often misuse both
words and title books memoir when they may be more autobiographical in
nature and vice versus.

Also keep in mind that autobiographies are written by the person who the
book is about; biographies are written by another person. People often
confuse the two, and for some reason, BARD categorizes both under
biographies, which I find annoying.

Hopefully this all makes sense.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter