[stylist] The problem with memoirs

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Fri Mar 2 14:24:15 UTC 2012

I really love the memoir form of writing. It is based on an actual life
event, or moments of a life,  but then it flourishes into the imagination as
well. It is like a weaving of warp and weft. A tapestry of moments in a life
as told by the person who has lived those moments. It is a lie based on a
truth, and we understand that from the get-go, and we expect to be swept
away by the imagination mingled with actual moments.  I love the memoir
because it is "moments" in a life, and not the full tale of the
auto-biography. And, the biography, of course, is slanted because it is only
one person's view that is expressed - the author.

I love the memoir for the same reason I love the theater and going to see a
very well written play.  Suspension of disbelief is necessary as I open the
book and begin to read. It is "real" but it is "not real" at the same time.
Next to poetry (great poetry) the memoir is right up there on my favorites
list.

Lynda