[stylist] KNFB reader and tools for jotting thoughts/ideas

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Sun Mar 4 14:11:50 UTC 2012

Hi Eve
I wish I had read that post about Michigan.  They need to do away with
Ohio Rehab as it is a joke especially in the Northeast.  They don't help
consumers who are blind.

Anyway, about learning about tech tools for writing, there may be an NFB
list for that.  I have had to figure things out on my own.  Before my
vision loss I surfed the net and found Michael Ericson (ME Inc) I think
the name is before he retired.  He helped me figure out about screen
readers.  I surfed the web from there.  Also, you might call the
1-800numbers of different places and just ask questions.  Handy-Tech
North folks are very nice and they have cool tech stuff.  Not sure if
your state rehab could help at all.  If you are a student or have an
employment goal, they might send you to a local agency for the blind.
It would not cost you anything to contact them and say you need help
with employment and see where it went.

Going to the National Convention would be nice if it were close, but
even then you spend the money on a hotel and not tech stuff.

Maybe an idea for a writing prompt in the months to follow would be
"gadget used for some aspect of writing."

Brenda

On 3/3/2012 10:26 PM, Eve Sanchez wrote:
> Ashley, I do not have the funds to travel around the country and I have
> been to our state conventions, but the technology fair is sorely lacking.
> The tech fair at nationals is great, but who has the time to have a
> thourough lesson in everything they see much less even have time to figure
> out all of what is worth taking time for? As I said, I wish I had a way of
> learning what there is available. I read the alert from National about the
> Michigan Commision being threatened due to many complaints of poor
> instruction and what have and can not believe that they are worse than
> Idaho. This is one of the reasons I appreciate learning from the members.
> Besides, who knows better than the people who are actually using the
> technology? Diolch, Eve
>
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Ashley Bramlett
> <bookwormahb at earthlink.net>wrote:
>
>> Eve,
>> If you want to learn and see a demo of technology to write and help
>> organize information there are several ways.
>> Visit a lighthouse for the blind. Go to your nfb state convention where
>> hopefully you will see vendors of products; we have that at ours.
>> Also, if you visit the national center for nfb, the technology center has
>> lots of technology there and a knowledgable staff to answer questions.
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Eve Sanchez
>> Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:22 PM
>> To: bjnite at windstream.net ; Writer's Division Mailing List
>> Subject: Re: [stylist] KNFB reader and tools for jotting thoughts/ideas
>>

>> Thanks for the info. Is this something available through the NFB? I wish I
>> had access to learn about all the different tools available. I know there
>> are things out there to help, but ... Maybe that would be a good monthly
>> discussion group sometimes; "Tools for Blind Writers". Diolch, Ev
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Brenda<bjnite at windstream.net>  wrote:
>>
>>   Eve, TheKNFB reader is a software package that goes on certain cell
>>> phones.  You snap a picture and it will read back the text.  There are
>>> apps
>>> for the iphone but I think they aren't as accurate or take longer to

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/****options/stylist_nfbnet.org/**<http://nfbnet.org/mailman/**options/stylist_nfbnet.org/**>
>>> 3rdeyeonly%40gmail.com<http://**nfbnet.org/mailman/options/**
>>> stylist_nfbnet.org/3rdeyeonly%**40gmail.com<http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/3rdeyeonly%40gmail.com>