[stylist] International Women's Day

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Sun Mar 11 12:48:42 UTC 2012

Hi Bill,

I am so glad you included your own history here because it gives me a deeper
understanding of your interest in Native peoples. I think you are on to a
very interesting story of the displacement of people, children, due to
ethnic background and/or physical disabilities. I had never thought of it
before. I hope this list will help you, too. It is a really good one for
studying Native women's lives. A good beginning.

When I stood for the first time, in the Herd Museum, and was looking at the
Native display that they had one year on the Indian Schools I don't think I
ever saw or read anthing that cause me such sorrow.  I had never really
known how this all happened. You know, we don't really learn about these
things growing up in a public school. Not a bit of it.  And, then when I
visited one of the Mesas and learned first hand the stories from the people
themselves of how their children have to leave to go to school, as very
small children, it was just sickening.  I never fully understood these
things until that day at the Hurd. And, when I saw the children as they
looked before they were taken away, and then saw photos of them standing
there in a group at their new school, it was beyond anything I could have
imagined. I had no idea of any of this. And, one of the major schools where
the horrors took place for all these children was here in PA.

For a couple of years I was priviledged to teach a course in the spring
semesters called "Arizona culture." It was a team teaching class at Geneva
Cellege, Beaver Falls, PA. Each day in the classroom, the students got to
hear from a different professor who taught on their area of expertise. I
taught the art and narrowed it down to Hope, Navajo, and Zuni art making and
history.  Other profs. taught the landsacap - oue prof was a desert
ecologist (he has since passed away); one taught literature; one psychology;
one linguistics; one astronomy; etc. We each had several sessions with the
students, and each of us attended all the classes during the course so we
were familiar with the entire course.  But the beauty of the course is this:
during spring break, all students were required to go to Arizona where we
continued our studies as we moved from place to place all over the state. We
spent 10 days there. Each day was a classroom in the field, on the desert,
cities, parks, in a Hopi home (through a very generous man and his wife); on
the mesas; in museums, on the mountain top observatory at Kidd Peak, in the
desert, in the lavish new housing areas with waterfalls and lakes (taking
all the water away from the indians); and more.

In many of the courses that I have taught, we have explored the literature
and art of Indian women.
When I came upon this wonderful list of the women of achievement through
history, I thought perhaps someone else on this list might be interested, as
I am, in learning about these women. there are links to them, to their
works, and their websites.
I have personally met some of them (Gail Tremblay and Juane Quick-to-See
Smith, at a conference. My student was doing a research project on
Quick-to-See Smith, and because I belonged to an organization with both of
them, I was able to put her directly in touch with her. She generously had
conversations with my student over e-mail. I was able to fly my student to
Philadelphia to a conference where Quick-to-See Smith was being honored, and
they got to meet in person.
As a result of all this, my student wrote a major paper on her, and the
paper was accespted by the Board of Directors of the National Museum of
Women in the Arts, Washington, DC. for the archives on Quick-to-See Smith.

My student is Indian - Lanape, and Cherokee - and by taking her on a trip to
the National Museum of Art one weekend, as part of a class project in my
Women in the Arts and Literature Course, she learned about Quick-to-See
Smith. She was hooked as she stood before one of her major paintings. Thus,
the beginning of this project.

I am a strong believer that learning happens naturally, and when the student
is ready to learn. Often it happens when the student is relaxed and engaged
in something that is different and new, such as this student leisurly
walking through a museum in a situation that was new to her.  In many of my
courses, we left the academic classroom, as a group, and traveled to other
places to see and hear new things together. If the teacher is a life-long
learner, then the students will be a life-long learner, too, by example.  We
never get to the place where we really know anything fully, but I have found
that the more I have learned, the more I do not know.
Each new thing, brings with it new questions to be explored. And on it goes.

I think you will find a lot of good information on your own exploration in
the work and lives of the Native Women on this list. Yes, I agree with the
parallels that you have with them - and this is a unique and interesting
topic to explore.

Lynda River Woman