[stylist] pet PVS

vejas brlsurfer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 03:51:22 UTC 2012

Here are two of my pet peeves:

1.  In some books I have read, quotation marks are...  well...
simply not present.  Here's an example (purely made up)

 I looked at Elizabeth.  We have to do something now.  (This "we
have to do something" was a statement I was telling Elizabeth,
but the context isn't very clear that I'm saying it, since
there's no quote marks.
2.  In between people talking, there is supposed to be a new
line.  It's so annoying when they're on the same line because you
lose track of who's talking.

I used to play a "quotes game." When I was in third grade, I used
to play a game with myself in my stories, where I would have a
conversation like this between 2 characters.  (I'm old enough to
know better now.)

Here's an exapple:
Heidi met Evelyn at the playground.  They began talking.
"What's new?"
"I don't know."
"Do you want to play jump rope?"
"Yes."
"Cool."
"Yeah."
"I really don't want to play jump rope, actually."
"I don't care."
"OK."
The object would be to keep some stream of conversation.  Then, I
would enjoy looking back and seeing, do I remember which one was
speaking? After like 10 lines, if you're not careful you forget
who's talking.  (It's fun to write, but to annoying to read  if
it's not my own writing lol.)
Vejas