[stylist] JAWS features for editing and writing guides

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:53:15 UTC 2012

Jackie,

First, with JAWS, there is a feature you can turn on called All
Punctuation. It will read out any punctuation as you go along in a
document. To my knowledge, there's no way for JAWS to distinguish words
like there and their, or to and too though.

Purdue has a fantastic website that not only has grammar rules and
information, it has info about the various writing styles such as MLA,
APA and Chicago Manual, which are predominantly used for academic and
scholarly writing, but some rules will apply as well for creative
writing especially when submitting work to editors and publishers.

If you have access to BARD, several writing books are available such as
Strunk and Whites Elements of Style, which is a good short one. There
are many others though as well.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: