[stylist] Intuition

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 27 23:07:25 UTC 2012

Lynda,

What you say about an artist internalizing to discover a truth about
themselves that they can then fuse into their art, is a scary thing.

When I switched my emphasis from fiction to nonfiction, it took a lot to
dig deep and find how my experience can transform into a universal when
writing about it. It's been extremely difficult to put things on the
page that I still would never have a conversation about.

It seems odd to have such a private, closed-book person write nonfiction
specifically about themselves. In some weird way, it's okay to put it on
paper even if I don't want to openly talk about things. But it was a
difficult process to divulge certain things, and some things I still
can't touch upon. It took me years before I could write about my eating
disorder. I feel vulnerable just writing that here.

Internalizing and finding out truths deep within me has really affected
my entire life, not just my writing. I have had to learn how to harness
emotions, pain, ingrained ideas, just to write about the world around
me. It is this process, though, that transcends an artists work making
it three-dimensional. There is talent, then there is talent with raw,
gritty emotion behind it. You learn to control it; to direct it, but any
artist must learn to do this in order to reach truth and a new level
with their craft.

Having been involved in theatre since I can remember, and getting a
minor in theatre, has helped me with the internalization process. To
look inside and find something to spark, to ignite your art, your craft.

Switching to nonfiction and having to look deep inside in order to
write, has helped my fiction greatly. I have a better understanding of
emotional depth and characterization. And I'm learning to share my
experiences in a way that brings relate ability as well as viewing my
life through a lens I'm comfortable with.

As you say, it's a scary, intimidating journey, but one that can
ultimately bring satisfaction to one's craft. I'm still on this journey,
and I suppose we never truly end it.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: