[stylist] Magnification and screenreaders

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Tue Mar 27 23:23:46 UTC 2012

Hi bridgit and Lisdt
I agree with you Bridgit regarding using a screen reader like Window
Eyes even with remaining vision.  My state rehab agency did not give me
that choice.  They never asked how well I could read print and the
computer screen.  Since I could see they decided I needed zoomText or
magic.  Magic was provided because I got the blue screen of death with
ZT.  However, I got the same thing with Magic.  After being told to go
into my registry by Freedom Scientific and not being willing to do so I
parted ways with my rehab agency.  I knew I had problems reading the
screen.  I spoke with a wonderful man from ME Enterprises (no longer in
business due to retirement).  Mike asked me the tough question - 'how
much did I really see and read?'  He helped me to realize that although
I could read some, it would probably be better to use a screen reader.
When I first purchased Window Eyes I could see enough to read if I
really wanted to.  This helped me transition and really trust my screen
reader and develop some strategies for doing medical transcription.  Now
I totally rely on Window Eyes.  I can see my screen, and there is
something comforting about looking at it, but even with my scope glasses
all I can see is where to position the mouse to read what is there in an
emergency.  I find it so freeing to be able to sit up like a normal
person and not eat the screen and not move my head back and forth or
fiddling with the mouse trying to read.

As for having a choice with your rehab agency - yah, in a perfect
world.  I had to discover things for myself as they tend to force people
with remaining vision to rely on it and not learn adaptive strategies
used by people who are blind.  This is why I am learning Braille now
instead of in school as a child.  Then there is the negative feedback
from people who don't think I need Braille or a white cane or a screen
reader because i can see.  I consider myself very fortunate to have
figured things out.  Other partials have a much rougher road and are not
so fortunate as I was.

Brenda