[stylist] Question for fiction writers.

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed Mar 28 22:00:01 UTC 2012

Allen,
I like using an action to get across the point of a physical trait. For
instance, you could say that your character ran his hands over the tight
brown curls on his head or through the long brown hair hiding  his collar or
that he pushed his wavy brown hair out of his eyes or something like that.
You can also refer to a specific hairstyle like saying he wore his brown
hair in a pony taile or a buz cut. If the hair is unusual in some way, you
can link it to a character trait such as saying that as people assumed from
his buz cut, he was ex-military. When I first described my main character in
my novel, I said something about her twisting her long blond hair around her
hand and throwing it over the back of her recliner.
HTH,
Donna