[stylist] Question for fiction writers.

Andi adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 14:54:39 UTC 2012

You could talk to a hair stylist to learn what that specific hair cut and
style is called if you don't know, as in "He had a short brown crew cut," or
you could describe it in terms of association like "His unruly light brown
curls gave him the look of a surfer."  Another way to do it would be to
describe it full on as in "His straight auburn hair was combed circularly
from the top of his head outward so that strands spread out evenly around
his head.  It landed just behind the top of his ear, softening his facial
features."  One other way I can think of to describe it would be to describe
what he does with it, as in "His shoulder length sandy brown hair was tided
back in a low ponytail," or "Rich dark brown hair was gelled in to spikes
sporadically around his head."  I am not sure what your character looks like
so all of these are very different but it is good to know shades of brown as
well as hair styles and cuts.  I don't know if this helps.  If not can you
be more specific in what you are looking for?  You could try to describe him
and submit it to the list and ask if people can picture him or not, we all
might be able to help better if we know what you are doing with the
character.

Andi