[stylist] Writing exercise: satire and humor

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Thu Mar 29 04:29:04 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I don't usually contribute much to this list--Although I'd like to.
However, having a brand new baby has a peculiar way of stealing the
spotlight, so to speak.
This writing excersise caught my attention though, because I also tend
to approach my life with a sense of humor, and I love satire. I'm
definitely going to try my hand at this one, although, like Bridget, I
find it to be a bit of a challenge to cater to people's sense of humor
through my writing sometimes.
Before I do that, I'd like to comment on your piece, Bridget.
First of all, I found the essay very entertaining. It was paced well
and I love the imagery. I could totally invision the scenario where you
as a child bit your mother's calves. Your description of it was, in
fact, very funny. "I looked at the back of her slender calves and
licked my lips." That line made me imagine  a small child with an
animalistic urge to bite, in the way that a puppy would--That's what
made it funny for me. The showdown between the two sisters also held my
attention because again, the sceen came alive in my mind.You built the
tension perfectly by describing how you and your sister glared at each
other from across the bedroom.
 Finally, here are a few things that I personally understood and
apreciated as humourous, but perhaps other readers might not be able to
catch in general.
The reference to the theme song from "The Nanny" wasn't lost on me--I
chuckled at that one. I'm not sure how many people would make the
connection if they aren't familiar with the show. However, I tend to do
the same thing--I make references to movies and/or shows in my writing
wherever I think they might fit. I'm always being told that my readers
might not be able to connect with my work because of that, but I think
that if at least one person besides myself can identify with that, it's
worth doing. In general, like I said, I really enjoyed the piece,
especially because of the cynical sense of humor. Perhaps that's
because I share the same sort of sense of humor.
As I mentioned previously, I'm caring for my brand new little one these
days, so I'm running on roughly a couple hours of sleep--So I'm sorry
if this message is one scattered ramble. I wanted to contribute though,
just as well. Hope it's useful to some degree.

Sincerely,

Bernadetta Pracon