[stylist] Writing exercise: satire and humor

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 29 21:02:30 UTC 2012

Bernadetta,

First, congrats on your new little one. My husband and I are expecting a
bundle of joy in early September, so in a few months I will totally
understand the situation you are in, smile.

I'm glad you appreciate this piece. I don't think it's the best attempt
at satire ever written, and I also get that not everyone will understand
and/or appreciate it just because of reasons due to preference, but when
I workshopped  it in a class a few years ago, the humor was completely
lost on most my classmates. It's not intended to be a deep piece, but an
attempt to not only tell, what I think is, a funny story, but give more
insight into me as a person. The attempt failed though, but I still like
it nonetheless.

I'm glad you caught The Nanny reference. When I wrote it for my class,
most the students would have been babies or young kids when the show was
on, so I wasn't sure if they would get it, but a few did. Like you, I
like to pull in pop-culture references when fitting with a narrative,
and this is usually encouraged in most writing as a way to give context
to time and era without actually stating it. Plus, it's fun, and I
actually speak this way.

I also reference George of the Jungle, which is a throw back even for
me, being only 30, but is a pretty recognizable pop-culture saying. When
I talk about people shouting at me when walking around, I use the
phrase, "Watch out for that tree!"

One thing I always chuckle about is the line, "I will declare war so
fast with my written words of terrorism (this is what me hubby calls it)
you won't know what to do with my passive-aggressive attack," because
one comment made when workshopping  this was that I used "Me hubby,"
when it should be "My hubby." I intentionally meant "me" because I do
say things like this, but usually people understand, especially in light
of what this essay is about, such a term since it's still used in the
UK, and is how the English language originally spoke the word "my." No
one else thought this was a typo, so I get a little chuckle every time I
think about it.

Ultimately, I think a part of the problem is that I workshopped  this in
a class full of my sighted peers, most feeling perhaps guilty because I
was addressing the very thoughts and questions they thought themselves,
and most were not able to understand the "satire" of the essay. Those
who knew me did find it funny and entertaining, but I understand why a
topic like this addressed in such a tone could be confusing for some.
Those who are blind, or who know me, can appreciate not only my humor,
but what I attempted in this essay. I don't find it surprising that it
finds a better reception here than it did with a group of sighted folks.

And finally, though I'm a lot like this in personal convos, I find it
extremely difficult to express humor on paper especially in a way that's
relatable. I can wax dramatic on any subject, but ask me to approach it
with humor, in writing, I find it hard to do and usually unsatisfying by
the end. Definitely something I need to work on. So much for emulating
David Sedaris, grin!

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: