[stylist] Pet PVS

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 29 21:30:40 UTC 2012

I agree with you, Eve, when it comes to casual communications such as
emails and texts, but as writers, especially on a list dedicated to
writing, it's paramount we understand structure, form and grammar and
can make necessary corrections in our writing. I know very few editors
who have patience for the slightest errors, whether they be human errors
or mistakes made by technology.

The initial question for this thread wasn't necessarily intended to be
serious or nit-picky; after-all, we all have pet peeves about various
things, and some simply have shared what bothers them in terms of
writing.

However, it is vital that writers of any kind pay attention to matters
of writing so they can present the best work possible regardless of if
it is intended for publication or just something shared on a listserve.
I don't want grammar, structural and spelling errors in my writing, and
I appreciate when they are pointed out so I can correct them. I want my
writing to be professional, quality and since I'm blind, I don't want to
potentially contribute to stereotypes many have about blind writers; I
have met them, and they assume most blind people are not aware of
grammar and structure because they are blind.

It has nothing to do with believing someone is "superior" for commenting
on errors in each others writing. I'm not sure why it would be wrong,
especially on a writing listserve, to point out such mistakes. Again,
this is what any editor will be looking for, and many editors will
refuse to consider work full of mistakes. If we can't handle our peers
making helpful corrections, how will we handle editors, publishers and
agents doing the same?

A mistake is a mistake, and when you write for publication of any kind,
you want to avoid errors as much as possible before submitting. If you
have an outlet in which to share your work before submitting, you should
be thankful for the opportunity to have a plethora of people who can
assist in the grammar and structure department.

If someone has a clear grammatical or spelling error, I don't understand
why it would be viewed as childish or me thinking I'm superior to point
it out. When we make these comments and provide feedback, we are not
implying people are stupid or know little about writing; we all make
mistakes, and no one has all the answers, it's nice to have others look
something over bringing their knowledge and experience to the table.
This is how a workshop environment works. Stylist is not the perfect
workshop environment, but when any of us post our writing here, if all
you want is praise an accolades, well, no writer should expect this
without receiving constructive criticism as well. If we never are told
what to work on, how do we grow, learn?

So I totally get your frustration for casual communications, but I don't
think it's nit-picky, condescending or wrong to point out these types of
errors even if typos are due to carelessness or technology; an error is
an error no matter what, and as writers, we should want to fix any
manuscript so it it is not riddled with mistakes. There is a way in
which to go about making such comments, and people should never be rude
about it or question a person's intellect because of writing errors, but
it does need to be corrected nonetheless.

It's not adopting a superior attitude to point errors out. To avoid
miscommunication, I state that this next comment is a general one and
not directed towards you. If you don't like people providing feedback
and commentary on your work, you will not have an easy time of it as a
writer. Comments about grammar and spelling are not about preferences;
they are established rules of writing that must be followed. In a word,
for writers, it's called professionalism.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan