[stylist] Pet PVS- correcting fellow writers

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 31 10:31:51 UTC 2012

Holy shit! For a group of writers, a few of us don't seem to read things
very carefully. Please, Eve, point out where I ever said you should not
be a part of Stylist? And you did say we should  not correct or comment
on each others posts, instead just simply enjoy them. Here is what you
wrote:

Alright now. I will jump on the band wagon. My pet peeve is people who
think they are so superior that they need to constantly correct others.
Whether it is a mispronunciation or spelling error (which could be a
typo)... relax. It is not the end of the world if it is not corrected.
"Save that behavior for your children people!" Eve

You say we should not point out errors. Where did I comment then on
something you insist you did not say? And I was also including comments
made by a couple of others and not just you.

I said over and over that  no one is superior here, including me, and
that it is not giving Stylist credit, or taking advantage of this
opportunity, to give and receive feedback on material we post here. I
also said it needs to be done in a warm and generous way. So once again,
as usual, I ask, where did I tell anyone to not be a part of this
listserve?

And Lynda, when I first joined Stylist a few years back, there were only
ever 8 or 10 people participating, so this is nothing new. Though we did
seem to do more sharing of actual writing back then instead of endless
posts debating what usually turns out to be philosophical views on
writing and artistic expressions. In fact, I just posted a writing
prompt and only one other person has attempted to share anything.

Donna made some great points on this topic as well. Many of us have
discovered great friends on the listserves as well as learn more about
the Federation. Some listserves, such as Stylist, can be so much more
than a social experience though, and as Donna points out, I want
constructive feedback when I post my writing, and I want others to share
in an equal exchange of this feedback.

I really respected your experience and wisdom I thought you, Lynda,
would bring to Stylist. It's exciting when new people join and we add to
the community. You have years of experience as a professor plus you are
an artist. I was excited for the potential perspective I thought you
would bring. We seem to share similar views on the concept of artistic
expressions, and it disappoints me that we can not meet eye-to-eye
especially when we seem to share some similarities. Why you feel a
certain way about me, I'm unsure. With your years as a professor, I
would think you would recognize that when I disagree with you, or anyone
else, I leave personal attacks out of it, commenting only on what is
stated in a given post. I try to take a more academic approach in these
arguments. And the couple of times this has happened, it has revolved
around the topic of writing and artistic forms. I'm sorry if you feel
differently, but I don't argue to simply argue, and I always try to
avoid commenting on a person especially in an online format since I
don't know most of you on a personal level.

Vejas has continued the word of the day and adds a young perspective for
us all.

Donna, Chris, Jackie and many, many others not only are great writers,
but provide us with a lot of experience, and they have had material
published and can share this experience with us.

Lori always knows her grammar and writing rules along with providing
feedback that is appreciated. Plus she is a founding member of the
Writers' Division and original editor for Slate & Style.

There are so many of you who are valuable to Stylist, and I respect and
admire you.

The few "debates" held here were about writing, and on my end, I have
not taken comments as personal attacks, nor have I attacked any
individual. I have taken certain arguments and held my arguments against
them, giving reasons why I disagree or agree. I've never told anyone to
not be on the list, and I have never been rude or condescending. I've
certainly never, ever told anyone to take a time out or to shut up or
make erroneous claims against a person like some have done.

Some constantly want to contradict me and claim I'm the polarizing one,
but I have not done anything rude or condescending, and in fact, the
last time someone tried to make this claim against me, many replied in
my favor, thinking I had provided us with some info to consider. They
did not find my posts to be rude, ostracizing or irrelevant. And when I
ask for "proof" of these claims, those making them never respond.

I made it very clear what my intention was in the post in question here,
and no where did I ever adopt a condescending tone, and I certainly did
not ostracize anyone. In fact, the following is from my original post:

> A loving, warm environment is necessary to this process because no one

> is superior to anyone. We all have individual styles, voices, formats
> and processes in which we write. We need to recognize the difference
> between preference and wrong in terms of content, style and genre. Any

> feedback should be done with sincerity and a general appreciation for
> assisting fellow writers.

So for the two of you trying to ostracize me, please tell me, point out,
where I am being condescending or polarizing or telling people they
don't belong on the list.

To the rest of you, I apologize we can't have intellectual debates
providing each other with varying views and opinions. I apologize if I'm
contributing to this "problem," and I truly am sorry if anyone has ever
thought me rude or adopting a superior attitude; I have never intended
for this, and all I ever wanted from Stylist was an online community of
writers who not only socialized, but shared our writing and experiences
in writing with one another.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: