[stylist] Comment on External Description, critiques, and answers

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Thu May 3 23:07:01 UTC 2012

Dear Chris, Bridgit, Andi, Shawn, Barbara, and any I might have missed. I am
blown away. All of you caught this ball and ran with it. Besides giving all
of us much to sharpen our wits with in terms of analyzing the exercise, you
all quickly gave critiques, and some gave answers to the critiques.

I feel like I was privileged to attend a high-level workshop on writing
where the participation was widespread, and the spirit of positive
interaction was exemplary.

What have I done about it? I have copied all of your works, your critiques,
and have been studying them a number of times to see if I can internalize
the concept it all of its details.

I have a book of poetry, much of it in narrative form, and this exercise
truly demonstrated to me what has been lacking in many of my poems.

Bridgit was the first to point this out in one of my postings. And as usual,
she gave actual examples with an alternative treatment to what I had
written. This, to me, is the most helpful. It seems that many of you are
able to do this.

Like Donna, Brad, and others, I have had to take a break, but have not
stopped the e-mails from coming in.

My rationale  is that, while I am still mobile, I must attend my class, the
Arizona poetry conferences that I can get to, and keep new assignments in
the works. I am trying to use the principles I am learning from all of you.

I was impressed with all of your examples, and I still feel that I have much
to learn about the art of critiquing work as to specifics instead of the
content, and gut feelings.

This group has been a blessing in all ways. Even the occasional "rants" I
believe to have been valuable, because look at how everyone is working
together now with ultimate respect.

All of your works are being held in individual folders. If I had another
life, I would write a book about this group, for the character development
is already half-done!

Just kidding. For me, this is it, and I am just trying to pack in the
learning before the mind loses its sharpness.

Thank you all for your good work.

By the way, Robert, I think you are sitting on a very stimulating pyramid.

Also, when there is time, I will address the subject the comments by Robert,
on April Fool's Day, about people preferring blind lovers. Or something to
that effect. It is no April Fool's myth.

Poetry on the subject is in the wings.

Jackie