[stylist] A new conversation about the sestina

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Thu May 24 19:03:46 UTC 2012

Lynda,
This sestina about William Carlos Williams has lines, I believe from 8 or 9
syllables all the way to 16. Does this fit the guideline that it must be
consistent? Nit-picking, perhaps, but I seem to need the guidelines firmly
followed before I can commit to branch into my own off-shoot format. Perhaps
we are talking about new formalists. Are you one?
Whatever it is, it is a wonderful poem. My teacher tells us to write what
you want, but never label it as a particular form unless you are following
the traditional form.
Would love a discussion about this.
Jackie