[stylist] Poem inspired by Dante/

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Fri May 25 00:28:54 UTC 2012

Thanks so much Jackie!
Interesting, because today I took that same 3 mile walk. I have only done it
twice now, since I lost my eyesight. I have been wanting to do it again, by
myself and I hope to do it this summer.  I did a one mile walk around a
nearby neighborhood - I was so happy with myself.  I took one of my dogs and
set off.  Near the end of the walk, a man passed me. He knew me, and
remarked "It is so nice to see you out walking this morning."  He knows who
I am and he knows my story, I recognized his voice.  I cam back from that
walk with a new determination to do the three mile walk. It is rugged -
first mile all uphill; second mill downhill. Third mile along the river
through the woods.

I came back from that 3 mile walk this morning and wrote down some of the
images and things I remembered. I am going to write another poem - about the
early morning walk. Soon!

Dante' wrote a masterpiece that once you have read it you will never forget
it - it is stunning! You would absolutely love it.  It is akin to the Greek
poet, Homer's epics, but he was Italian and wrote an Italian epic. I have
always been so fascinated with imager of the unerworld and the idea of
passage into the underworld - so this poem is a reflection of those ideas in
many ways.
I have stood in the Bapistry in Florence where Dante was baptized as a young
man, and saw the wild images in mosaic that he would have been familiar
with - you can see them all in his Epic.  Wonderful stuff.

Lynda Lambert
104 River Road
Ellwood City, PA 16117

724 758 4979