[stylist] November writing prompt on gratitude: poem

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 08:11:17 UTC 2012

Aine,

As I told Barbara, I'm not an expert in poetry when it comes to form and
structure, but I will give you my impressions, smile.

I agree with Lynda when she says this is a post-modern structure where
you focus on your thoughts in the moment. It's as if you are writing
this while actually doing things. You're striving to express a thought
or mood and not necessarily an image, yet you provide a lot of imagery
and visual stimulation in the way you craft this poem. It's also
post-modern in that you are honest, neither looking at the world through
rose-colored glasses or sinking into complete fits of despair, but you
capture a mood very well. You have a rawness showing through and I like
that. You don't feel the need to over explain or be unnecessarily
motivating. All good stuff. I find it refreshing and strong. I look
forward to reading more poems from you.

Also, you sound like a perfectionist, and from one perfectionist to
another, be proud of your accomplishments. That you made it to the
Olympics is a success all of its own. And don't fear putting your
written word out there. I know how scary this can be, and I still always
hesitate to share my work, but we can't allow fear to hold us back from
seeking new experiences. Then again, this harkens from someone who can't
send an email without editing it several times, LOL!

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan

Message: 4