[stylist] Learning Project Writing Plays

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 07:55:57 UTC 2012

Eve,

I know this isn't my topic or month, but I do know the answers to your
questions.

Dialogue is written in this format:

Carrie: So how do you write a play?
Greg: This is how you write a play.

Likewise, you may want specific directions or characteristics for
individual characters, and this is how you would write it:

Carrie: (a little timid) How do you write a play?
Greg: (searching for chalk, he approaches a board) This is how you write
a play.

Much like any creative writing, a play isn't always written in a
chronological order but is later pieced together as the playwright edits
and revises. Setting and direction usually are in paragraph form.
Setting and direction are given at the beginning of an act and scene,
and also between dialogue/action as needed.

For example, if my two example characters, Carrie and Greg, are intended
to have specific movement, this would either be written in paragraph
form between lines (lines are the dialogue) or written the way I have in
my examples where the direction is placed in parenthesis after the colon
but before a characters line.

Staging and scene will be determined by when the action is suppose to
happen. When writing fiction, you don't write certain things before they
happen, and this same line of thinking follows in play writing.

If Carrie is meant to do an action before the line, then that direction
is written before the line, as I have done in my example above. If
direction happens in the middle of a line or after the line, it would be
written this way:

Carrie: That is very interesting. (she moves towards the board) I see
what you are talking about now. (she places a hand on Greg's arm) I
would like to write a play.

Unless very intentional to a character or plot, too much physical
direction isn't often given in the manuscript since a director will
create physical movement or staging as it is called. As a director
creates blocking and direction, actors pencil it into their script.

Oh, another good thing to know when writing a play is stage blocking.
There are various types of stages or performing arenas, but they will
all use this type of blocking.

Picture a grid. The middle box is center stage. On either side is stage
left and stage right. The direction for blocking is always, always based
off how the audience views you. So when looking at a stage, stage left
and right are the audiences left and right. The back of the stage is
upper left and right and the center is what is called upstage. The front
of the stage is bottom left and right and center is downstage. If not a
proscenium stage, or traditional stage, the blocking will be looser, but
the general idea is still retained.

A playwright will use this terminology when writing a play if they want
specific movement. Terms like these are important for play writing.

Hope this helps. Sorry for butting in. I just saw the questions and
thought I'd offer my knowledge. If I'm off on something, I apologize. My
knowledge of this comes not so much from actual play writing but acting,
grin. Though I've tried my hand at play writing in the past.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan