[stylist] More on flash fiction

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 25 23:10:31 UTC 2012

I sort of just jotted some things down in my last post about this, and
thought it might be confusing. Sorry, a little distracted by a little
someone, smile.

Like I said, flash fiction has no true, rigid rules or definitions. All
it really is an extremely piece of short fiction. Flash fiction will
usually follow standard story concepts and rules such as having a
protagonist, a conflict and conclusion, but unlike a novel, there's
little space in which to develop the story, so many of these elements
are left out of the actual text and implied or insinuated.

I was told many fables are now considered flash fiction. They are
usually no longer than two to three pages consisting of a main character
who must overcome something, or contend with an issue before meeting a
conclusion. With the rise of online communications like blogs, flash
fiction has become a popular writing style even if not given this term.

Because flash fiction relies on plot implications rather than including
them into the text, readers can have varying interpretations on a single
story, though this isn't always the case.

One of my instructors at university had us do a writing exercise where
we wrote a story in a single sentence; and not a long run-on sentence
but a relatively standard, normal sentence. It's both as easy and
difficult as you think, grin. Flash fiction is just an expanded version
of this idea.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: