[stylist] update: about brave new world

Jacobson, Shawn D Shawn.D.Jacobson at hud.gov
Wed Oct 17 17:14:01 UTC 2012

I think this book is a classic because it builds on the concepts of "perfect societies" that philosophers have been playing around with since Plate.  Note that the main character, Dr. Marx, is an alpha who doesn't quite fit the alpha mold; "perfect societies" do not play nice with those of us who don't fit in.  Note that you will see a quite different society later in the book.

One thing to do with older works that imagine the future (this book is about 80 years old) is to see how our world has diverged from the imagined world of the book.

Good reading and keep with it.

Shawn