[stylist] understanding poetry

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Sun Sep 30 23:45:33 UTC 2012

Lynda, and Barbara,
I had such mixed feelings about your questions, Barbara, and your response,
Lynda, that I feel the need to respond. I have gone through the steps you
recommend, Lynda, to understand and appreciate a poem. But on a practical
sphere, why should I invest a week or two on one poem which I may never
truly understand what the poet wanted to convey. There are great poets who
say what they mean in truly literary ways without having to make a a great
mystery out of it.
If the poet indeed writes just for him or herself, and there are those few
who will spend hours on trying to ferret out the meaning, that is a
wonderful combination for both of the partys. At some point, life becomes
too short to indulge in this practice. Billy Collins is a great poet, but is
also truly accessible. This is my ideal. I get a new poem every day. I have
come to select the ones that have a truly great line or two, or are truly
accessible to save to re-read. Some I will read  as many as six times, but
if it is not clear by then, it is deleted. Sometimes I have googled a word,
and have found new meaning to the poem. But please, a "tossed    salad" of
words is not a nourishing meal.
So, Barbara, thank you for saying what I often think, and Lynda, for your
wise words to an earnest student of poetry who has a great deal of time to
invest in understanding the content and making it meaningful to his or her
life.Certainly, the process should be done once. For me, after that, the
content of what I think might be there in a meaningful way will be my guide.
I love these points of view that make us analyze our own reading habits.
Thank you both.
Jackie