[stylist] {Disarmed} Vision Through Words post: Colors

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Wed Apr 3 14:12:27 UTC 2013

    I enjoyed reading both Fred's blog article and Chris' musings on color.
This is inspiring me to think of  writing a new article for my blog - since
my blog is about art and literature and my own journey in sight loss.

    You both brought my thoughts to my own life-time love affair with color.
Yes, I have a passion for color, and I am absolutely certain no amount of
sight loss or any length of time would dim my enthusiasm for color.

    I  began thinking of the term "color blind." And, I am thinking it is
far more complicated than merely not being able to distinguish particular
colors.

     I got a chuckle when Fred commented on his thoughts about the women in
the office discussing the color scheme for the paint job they were planning.
This is because I am currently in the process of changing my upstairs
bathroom - and I have spent a few months thinking of the color scheme it
will be.

     I have decided on terra cotta, the color of low fire clay.  There are a
number of reasons for this choice. First, it's the color of pottery, and
clay pots.  Second, it is the color I see in Puerto Rico on many buildings.
It is so beautiful in the sunshine, and so mysterious in the shadows.
Third, and most important reason for me, is that it's a color that literally
sings when you hang a painting on it. It makes the painting jump out, become
a pop of color, on the surface of a wall. No other color can do for a
painting what terra cotta can do. When I consider what color to paint a
room, it is always in my mind what art works will be in that room, and what
color will make them stand out the most.

    Chris' information on the science of color is very interesting to me for
a particular reason. Michel Eugène Chevreul (31 August 1786 - 9 April 1889)
was a scientist (a chemist) who transformed the world of art in his time. It
has impacted how we think of color today in the 21st century, and any
dedicated art student who studies color theory will be aware of a book he
wrote on his experiments. I used his experiments in the classroom all the
time, when we were doing experiments with color theory and practice.

     There was a book by Chevruel called "The Principles of Harmony and
Contrast of Colors). " published in 1839. My copy, in translation, is one of
my treasures and it was always present in my studio painting.
and his experiments and publications on light and color revolutionized art
at that time. It had impacted  the art world to the point that artists were
using his book as a sort of Bible on color and in particular the
simultaniety of color.  The early 20th century French painters were wild
about the ideas Chevruel presented - Robert and Sonja Delaunay, Picasso, and
many others used these ideas to create new and exciting works of art.

Here's a link to more information on this chemist:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Eug%C3%A8ne_Chevreul

    Artists are always on the front line when it comes to experimentation.
They are the ones that embrace new thought in physics and science in
general.  In grad school, I realized that the physics majors were always
socializing with the fine art majors.

    Many artists today are the people who experiment with new technologies
for the companies that produce new things - long before it is available to
the public.  This is because artists "play" with everything. They do things
to machines that any other person would never think of doing; use it in ways
that are unique and could not have been anticipated by the company.  Major
museums have partnered with high technology corporations and put artists
with machines as part of an art experiment. I have a friend from California
who was involved in such a project at the Smithsonian Museum of Art in a
project sponsored by the Zerox Corp.  She is a painter and printmaker, and
she used advanced technologies to produce her experimental works during that
exhibition time at the museum.

    Could it be that color is even more of a philisophical concept? We know
that it is not with the physical eyes that we see, but with the brain.
Chervruel's experiments proved this long ago.
This thought has brought another thing to my mind today - I recalled the
phrase in psychology, "The mind doesn't go, where the mind's never been."

Lynda