[stylist] Visual scenes

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sat Apr 13 19:24:14 UTC 2013

Hi Tessa,
Some of the answers can be found by doing research, like reading nonfiction
books  about native American history or in the case of your Turkish
character, aboutcultures and customs of other countries and times.
Historical fiction is also a popular genre for educating students about
different times and places. Check with the NLS BARD site.

You want to write from the POV of the artist, and you say he's "drawing"
her. Artists, especially when they're drawing with a pen or pencil of only
one color, are not totally focussed on color; the shadows formed when light
plays across the features of a face, the tilt of the head, the way a person
holds and uses their bodies are critical in portraying someone through a
drawn design and are not less so when the artists paints with colors. While
you can't see the colors, the other things are things that you can feel
within yourself. I think in the case of your artist that you have a lot
going on in your head that isn't visual and may be more moving to the reader
than simple colors.

There are many images online, it's true, and they don't help much unless
someone describes them to you, but there are also writers and historians who
have written things without relying on pictures to convey their message. In
the case of Wicked, you could also read the book itself, take notes on the
author's visual descriptions and figure out a new way of saying the same
thing.

I think sometimes we get unnecessarily focused on and stimied by the visual
and forget that our readers have imaginations. For instance, if you say that
your character is in a forest at sunset, or is walking through dry leaves,
these images, which are not intrinsically  visual, evoke a visual response
in the reader. Also, don't forget to use descriptions based on the senses
you do have. An old writing buddy I had in college once told me she thought
I should include nonvisual descriptions, as it would add a dimension to my
writing that might not occur to people focused mainly on the visual world.
HTH,
Donna