[stylist] Visual scenes

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 13 20:41:25 UTC 2013

Tessa,

I was fully sighted for 22 years, so I've never been able to adequately
answer this question. I have a visual understanding of the world, and
though totally blind, I'm still an extremely visual person, which is
evident in my writing. In fact, I find it incredibly difficult to write
from a blind POV.

Having said all that, one word of advice I've given to others with this
dilemma is that is writing the visual element necessary? This of course
depends on what POV you want in a story, but we shouldn't look at our
lack of visual understanding as an obstacle to hurdle in our writing.
Perhaps you can provide a unique perspective writing as a blind person.
Consider how this would affect your characters and plot; how can you
approach this from your unique perspective? It's worth considering. You
want your writing to be organic, believable, and by writing from your
perspective as a blind person, you are allowing the process to happen
naturally.

Having said all that, you may want those visual descriptions; you may
want your sighted characters to come from a sighted POV, and this is
perfectly fine. I think your best bet would be to ask people since the
internet may not always have exactly what you're looking for, no pun
intended, grin. A real person can give details, and you can ask
questions specific to what you want. Though the internet is certainly a
great resource for any writer, but many of us still do some old
fashioned research.

As to the application of this, well, my best advice is to study and
analyze how other writers describe things. Keep in mind that any
description must be necessary to the plot and/or character development.
Perhaps some descriptions you are fretting over are not as crucial as
you think. Always consider this when describing things in a story. But
yes, I would pay attention to how others describe the world around them,
and from this, take what is important to your process and see if you can
emulate it in some way. I'm not suggesting you plagiarize, but simply
study other works and incorporate that knowledge into your own writing
process.

Hope this helps

Bridgit
Message: 1