[stylist] Block quotes

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Fri Apr 19 23:01:49 UTC 2013

Bridget,

That is a good suggestion.

Here's a tip:
Whatever  style you choose, be sure you are consistent and do your entire
piece using that style. Students learn it in their first year of
undergraduate work - in basic Intro. to Writing  (English Composition)
courses because they will be using it in everything they write during the
rest of their life.  This is a course that is mandatory for all majors
during their first year, normally, their first semester in college. It
provides the basis and structure on which everything you do in your classes
will depend.

MLA style is usually used in literary  and academic writing in the
humanities -
Everything you would ever need to know, you can find in the MLA handbook.
All freshmen students were required to have a copy of it along with our text
for the course.

Other styles are used by various  kinds of writings, dependent on the
department.
(ie science;  business, education, etc.)

MLA was  required  in all of the courses I taught. Over the years, I taught
in three different  disciplines/departments: Art History, Humanities, and
English.
All  academic courses  in those disciplines require use of MLA.

Another good non-academic source for learning the elements of writing would
be the Writer's Digest - each issue features various articles on the forms
and styles of writing. You can subscribe to it on-line for free! This might
be a good place to begin to learn about writing.

Lynda