[stylist] poetry question

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Sun Apr 21 14:12:37 UTC 2013

Vejas,
I agree with Myrna. the message is a good one. It is so thoughtful and
really has a touch of humor to it as well.
I think you could begin by looking into what a "prose poem" is, and perhaps
that would suit your purposes better?
Is this a "poem" or a "prose poem" in your mind?
It's a good start towards something more, I think.

Definitely submit it to your school paper if you have the opportunity to do
that, but do it AFTER you edit it more.

My other thought is that the first person you should go to for help in
editing your poem is your teacher.
I think your English teacher would be more than happy to sit down with you
for a couple of  minutes to go over your piece. You can discuss with the
teacher
what  you can do to   make it a better poem. She knows you, and there is
nothing that is better than person-to-person, face-to-face contact with a
teacher who knows you.  You do need to be doing that on a regular basis with
your writing.

As a high school student, it is time to begin to think about making bridges
with your teachers that will take you beyond the classroom projects.
When you go to college, the most important thing you will need to do, to be
successful, is to get to know your professors very well, personally.
There is no end to the learning process - it extends beyond class time, and
into your future. It is those people who will promote you, mentor you, and
become your friends for many years after you leave the college environment
and enter the career you have been preparing for. And, you are preparing
right now as you begin to take the extra steps to build a bridge with your
teacher when you ask for help and advice on this poem.

Good job, and let us know how it goes - we want to celebrate your
publications with you!

Lynda