[stylist] Block quotes and writing styles

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 22 00:23:30 UTC 2013

Lynda,

You have great advice here. I recommend college-bound students
familiarize themselves with the commonly-used writing styles. During my
college years, I wrote in several styles. I have had to use MLA, which
as you mention is the most common especially among English, literature
and the humanities, APA, Chicago Manual and AP for my PR classes. A few
of my writing instructors preferred Chicago Manual, which was surprising
to me. MLA seems to be the most straight forward to me, but depending on
the class, you may need to write in a different style. In most my
history classes, we used either APA or Chicago Manual. In my philosophiy
classes, we actually used APA. As I said, in my PR writing classes, we
used AP. Of course in my English and lit classes, we used MLA, although
I had one instructor who preferred Chicago Manual as did a couple of my
writing instructors, as I already mentioned.

So no one style is necessarily used.

Bridgit
Message: 4