[stylist] Exclamation points

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed Apr 24 02:09:40 UTC 2013

        Hi Friends,
After Chris's comment on the chapter of my new book which I posted for the
fantasy prompt, I looked more closely at my manuscript and was horrified at
how many exclamation points I actually used. For me, it is mostly a dialog
thing, and I could probably justify most of them, were it not for the simple
fact that people who are awake and whose opinions I respect have become
ultrasensative about them -- in part, I believe, because of the horrors of
advertising, personal e-mails and texts.

The question is, "how much is too much?" So I went a-Googling and found the
following article from the Atlantic Wire (Sept. 2012). The article follows
the URL .
Enjoy,
Donna
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2012/09/plea-self-control-regar
ding-exclamation-point/57201/
Block quote
A Plea for Self-Control Regarding the Exclamation Point - Jen Doll - The
Atlantic Wire

Jen Doll

As we gathered punctuation favorites from a range of our favorite writers,
novelists, and word-knowledgable people, we ran into a cold, hard fact. Some
punctuation marks were hated, perhaps none more vehemently than the
exclamation point. It was a mark hated most of all, among those we spoke to,
by Grantland staff writer Rembert Browne. Browne asked, "Am I allowed to
write a note about why ! is the worst thing in the culture of the Western
Hemisphere?" Given that earlier this year we declared the exclamation point
as in many ways representative of an entire zeitgeist, even the mark of the
year, we figured we had to give Browne's countering view some time in the
sun. (One of our commenters has called the proliferation of that allegedly
foul mark an "American issue" even as our own Rebecca Greenfield has tried
to help us all cope and, for the love of God!, tone it down a little.)
Herewith, on National Punctuation Day, Browne's plea for restraint in a time
of great punctuation excesses:

Hate is a strong word, one unfortunately overused to describe things that
should probably be labeled as simply dislike or despise. With that said, I
would be lying if I described my feelings toward seeing an exclamation mark
as loathe or not a fan of. The hate in my heart for the most misused, overly
used piece of punctuation is very real, and I couldn't be prouder, seeing as
that it might be the only thing I truly stand for.

In 10th grade, as a response to the most recent assignment of 5-paragraph
personal essays answering the gem of a prompt, "talk about one important
thing of your summer," my English teacher began the class with the single
most important lesson I learned in high school: "From here on out, you only
get seven exclamation marks in your life, so use them wisely." I was
floored. At that point in my life, I had yet to deal with anything that
long-term. This was my Aladdin/three wishes moment. I was nervous, but also
excited.

Fast-forward to present day. Nine years have passed since this statement was
made and I have 5 more exclamation marks left.* Is this directly in response
to the wise words from my former teacher, the woman who essentially taught
me how to write? In some ways yes, but in my adult, working-world years my
refusal to use them (and true hatred of seeing them scattered about) comes
from the unfortunate fact that they're used so lazily and carelessly,
whenever something moderately good or bad happens. The point of punctuation
once actually meant something, but due to the culture of using them as
frequently as inhales and exhales, they've become the grammatical "boy who
cried wolf." No one is actually as consistently excitable as their
exclamation mark usage suggests, but there will come a time when a person is
attempting to convey true, unadulterated joy ("She said yes!" or "It's a
boy!" or "I won one of those raffles to have dinner with Barack and
Michelle!") and to me, because of the person's unfortunate exclamation track
record, it'll read the same as "I overslept so hard last night!!!!" or
"Hey!" or simply "!!!!!!!!"

Having spoken to people who are chronic users (yes, I mean for this to sound
like a drug habit, because you people are exclamation junkies), most admit
that they know they overuse it, but in this world where so many
conversations and relationships exist via typing, they feel it's the only
way to come off as excited and grateful, especially when dealing in work
settings. This is worrisome, because it's almost as if we've given up on
attempting to construct sentences, with words, that convey true happiness
and instead simply cop out with the exclamation mark. This is bad, people.
Real bad.

It's not too late to start down the path of "seven exclamation marks." Yes,
some of you are deep in the game, but your condition is not incurable. No
one is a lost cause. As rapper turned method-actor Clifford "T.I." Harris
stated in the film ATL, "I believe in you even when you're too stupid to
believe in your damn self." Know that I'm here for you. I'm tired of
fighting this battle alone and, above all else, I care.

Upon receipt of this rant we wrote back to Browne using no fewer than 7
exclamation points and a deep awareness of the fact that we are part of the
problem and not the solution. We will do better. We will try. Even if it
kills us. (!)

*Browne's two exclamation uses so far appeared in a mass email following his
high school graduation and in a long email to his thesis advisor, he told
us, after he found he was graduating because she'd passed him. Who will get
the remaining marks? "I think my first kid will get one (if there are
additional, probably not), wedding maybe, and then who knows," he says.
"Lottery? Maybe paying off school loans gets two? Who knows, I've got like
100 more years and only 5 more. Got to pace myself."

Inset via Flickr/Tom Rolfe.

 Want to add to this story? Let us know in comments or send an email to the
author at jdoll at theatlantic.com. You can share ideas for stories on the Open
Wire.
Jen Doll

Topics: National Punctuation Day, Grammar, Punctuation, Words

Share
Print article
Email article
Comments (10)

More at The Atlantic Wire

Science: Women Prefer Larger Penises

No One Cares About Ryan Lochte

'The Shining' Prequel Is the Problem with Prequels

The 'Teen Mom' Sex Tape Nobody Wants to See

Netflix Has Almost Already Paid for 'House of Cards' in New Subscribers

Elsewhere on the Web

The Latest Killer Extension for Gmail (Forbes)
Charlie Sheen Gets Inappropriate with Lindsay Lohan (Hollyscoop)
Chaz Bono Shows Off Slimmer Body (Zimbio)
What happened to the victims in these 3 iconic Boston Marathon bombing
photos? (TheWeek)
Britney Spears' Easter Dress May Be Her Worst Fashion Disaster (PHOTO)
(CafeMom)

[what's this]

User Comments

Please type your comment and click Post. If you're not already logged in you
will be prompted to log in or register

Today's Best

Five Best Tuesday Columns

More Today's BestGet Five Best by email

The Smart Set

Reese Can Make This All Go Away

More The Smart Set

The Call Sheet

No One Cares About Ryan Lochte

More The Call Sheet

All Departments

Have a story we missed? A link we have to click? A sharp opinion about the
news? Instead of waiting for us to post it, tell us on the Open Wire.
Submit your news and ideas | See all reader posts

1.The Bill Gates Handshake: Offensive, or Just Weird? A Photo Investigation
2.Apparently, Tamerin Tsarnaev's Influences Include Alex Jones and a Radical
Exorcist
3.Here Comes the Post-Boston Anti-Muslim Paranoia
4.No One Cares About Ryan Lochte
5.What Is a 'False Flag' Attack, and What Does Boston Have to Do with This?
6.New Secrets of the Forgotten Watertown Shootout, Revealed
7.How Boston and the Internet Scared Off Westboro Church from a Victim
Funeral
8.The New 'Bling Ring' Trailer Unveils Emma Watson as the Anti-Hermione
9.The Rise of the Term 'Glasshole,' Explained by Linguists
10.Tsarnaev Says They Got No Outside Help, Brother Was 'Driving Force' In
Attacks

links from theatlanticwire.com

/r/findbostonbombers founder calls the crowd-sourcing sub "a disaster"-an
interview with oops777.
41 points42 points43 points | 75 comments

The Bill Gates Handshake
2 points3 points4 points | comment

Elvis Impersonator Released in Ricin Plot Amid Rumor of Karate Teacher Setup
4 points5 points6 points | 5 comments

Netflix Has Almost Already Paid for 'House of Cards' in New Subscribers
129 points130 points131 points | 11 comments

Reddit's "Find Boston Bomber" founder says "It was a disaster" but
"incredible"
6 points7 points8 points | comment

Atlantic
How Toronto's Muslim Community Uncovered the Would-Be Train Bombers
Obama's Budget Would Lead to the Highest Federal Tax Rate in 4 Decades
The Most Stressful Places to Live

More from Atlantic

Atlantic Cities
Everything You Need to Know About Why Chicago Is Furious With the NYT
Watch Rio Erase and Rebuild Its Entire Waterfront in 3 Minutes
Do Long Commutes Discourage Married Women From Working?

More from Atlantic Cities

Quartz
An elderly crisis and a youth crisis: South Korea's got it all
Only in Washington would retirement be a sign of tax reform progress
Why is Apple borrowing money to pay investors when it has more cash than
ever?

More from Quartz

National Journal
How Will Texas Explosion Impact Chemical Security Laws?
How Pressure Cookers Get Classified as a WMD
The White House Is Right: Tsarnaev Should Be Tried As a Civilian

More from National Journal

BuzzFeed
22 Things That Will Happen In France Now That Gay Marriage Is Legal
Who Is Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, The Man At The Center Of The Boston Manhunt?
The Entertaining And Cringe-Inducing Ways Urban Outfitters Describes Its
Customers To Wall Street

More from Buzzfeed

About the Wire

The Atlantic Wire is your authoritative guide to the news and ideas that
matter most right now. Our team tracks newsmakers and opinions across the
entire media spectrum: newspapers, web sites, television, radio and
magazines.

But we do more than just collect information. By synthesizing, analyzing and
summarizing what's out there, and adding new information when we can, we are
a news engine that gives you a quick and valuable account of the issues of
the day.

The Wire to Go
iPhone app
RSS
Facebook
Twitter

Tablet App

Try our beta tablet app, optimized for iPad.

Open Wire

Have a hot tip? A story we missed? Tell us on the Open Wire

Contact Us

How to send us editorial or technical feedback

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get Five Best Columns in your inbox each morning (preview)

I want to receive updates from partners and sponsors.

Email Address

The Atlantic
Subscribe
Merchandise
Jobs
Privacy
Terms and Conditions
Advertise with The Atlantic
Advertising Guidelines
Follow The Atlantic

The Atlantic Media Company
The Atlantic
National Journal
Government Executive
Quartz

Copyright C 2013 by The Atlantic Monthly Group. All rights reserved. CDN