[stylist] Exclamation points

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 24 21:58:31 UTC 2013

Donna,

Thanks for this info.

In my writing classes, we were strongly advised against the use of
exclamation points. We were taught to do something to make an
exclamation clear either with some visual display such as all-caps and
bolding or within the narration. And we were taught that a statement
that's clearly an exclamation doesn't require an actual exclamation
point since it's obvious; like watch out or hurray. I had one instructor
who would take points off for using them.

When editing, one of the first things I look for are exclamation points.
It's amazing how frequently they are used even when the text doesn't
have a reason to do so.

Bridgit
Message: 6