[stylist] Exclamation points

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Fri Apr 26 03:36:46 UTC 2013

Bridgit,
Interesting. I actually detest the "all caps" solution. I am currently going
through the manuscript again with exclamation points in mind. In the print
book design stage, I will have another opportunity in a few weeks to submit
any revisions, so I took Chris's suggestion to heart.

At first, I thought I'd just strip them out altogether. However, as I read
my work I realized a couple of things. First of all, I wasn't using them as
a replacement for using words. I haven't added a single word, and I'm almost
through. The other thing is that I am developing a certain sensibility about
how to use them. Part of my punctuation preferences are, for better or
worse, informed by how a passage sounds with Jaws.  In dialog, I have a
cadense in mind, and though I suppose I could keep it to myself and allow
the reader free rein to interpret it, I can't fully bring myself to do it.
It's like the question mark. Do we really need to tell the reader that this
or that is a question? Why don't we just use periods and let them have the
freedom to assume it's a retorical question, if they like?

I have removed most of them, but I have deliberately left some which I feel
do add something. I'm going to check afterwards to see what percentage of
them I kept. One example of a way in which I chose to use them was in a
scene where a kindergarten class got a bit out of hand. As the children
begin talking and then arguing with each other, I dropped the use of dialog
tags in order to lend an intensity and speed to the dialog. It isn't
necessary to know which child said what. However, if every sentence ends in
a period, it is not clear that the writer expects the reader to presume an
escalation of the argument. So, I used a couple near the end of that dialog
string.

I still can't believe that your professor thinks all caps are OK. That last
sentence should, if it were to truly reflect how astounded I am at this
moment, end with an exclamation point. I know it's done, but to me that is
far more of a distraction visually than any punctuation mark could possibly
be.

I have done a lot of thinking about this, and I believe we have Madison
Avenue to blame for the maligning of a mark which has served writers well
for many years. The exclamation point is seen by people who have become
oversensatized to it as the written equivalent of the laugh track. In each
case, it seems like the consumer is being told how to feel. I agree that it
is over-used, and I admit that -- despite my opinion that I didn't do that
-- I am as guilty as hell. Nevertheless, I think it has its place.
Donna