[stylist] Exclamation points

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 15:39:53 UTC 2013

Donna,

All caps isn't to be used to replace every occurrence of an exclamatory
statement; it's just a unique way in which to produce a more visual way
to make it clear it's an exclamation. If we would have used all caps
frequently, the instructor would have graded against that too. They were
to be equally used sparingly. This particular instructor's background
had been journalism before she became a creative writer. She has her MFA
from Columbia, and her style can reflect that background at times.

An example of using a visual marker to note a cadence that stands out in
my mind is from a Truman Capote story. I can't recall the story, but
when writing that a person looked another person up and down, he wrote
it this way: up - and - down to give that sort of pause between words.
Like if you were to elongate the phrase when speaking it out loud. This
visual indication kind suggest that cadence. This example is bad because
it's not an exclamatory statement, but it stands out in my mind as an
example of trying visually to produce a cadence or type of statement.

So we were encouraged to find different ways to express exclamatory
statements, but regardless what that route was, it was always to be used
sparingly.

Bridgit

Message: 2