[stylist] Exclamation points

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue Apr 30 16:28:54 UTC 2013

Bridgit,
Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like your professor was into
experimentation and using new ways of visually implicating emphasis ... I
hope, in addition to and not totally in place of the occasional and
time-honored exclamation point. In terms of using the dash to connote a
slight passage of time, I prefer the ellipses, but I think every writer must
come to some understanding of all of this as a matter of personal style. I
believe it was Gertrude Stein who was famous for not using commas.
Personally, I don't want to go there.

I still don't like all caps. The only time I can personally justify that
approach is when the word is itself a sound that happens outside of the
narrative. I think Rowling does this with "BAM." I've never used it,
however, in all of my years of writing.

In your earlier post, you also mentioned italics and boldface, both of which
I believe should be used with the utmost of caution and never for creating
the sense of emphasis. In my novel, I use italics twice, and in both cases
it is for the title of a book mentioned in the text. Were I to then use it
to connote emphasis, its rule in setting off titles would be compromised.
Likewise,

boldface is used in my book only for chapter titles. If the concept of
having the technique be unintrusive or unobtrusive is at all a part of the
discussion, I am baffled at the use of boldface. In PR writing boldface is
used specifically to distract the reader from reading from the top and to
place prominent points of interest in the reader's mind. Though I often
think Madison Avenue is misinformed about the value and effect of
advertising and different techniques, they do still do this in print. I am
assuming they think it really does work. If it does, then that impact must
be considered when deciding whether or not to use it in other types of
writing.

I also think that dismissing something out of hand because of exclamation
points is a bit much, but forewarned is forearmed, and I won't send you
anything with a point for Slate and Style. *grin*
Donna