[stylist] Exclamation points

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 20:46:41 UTC 2013

Donna,

Like the all caps, bolding and italics are to be used very sparingly
too, at least according to the school of thought I was trained in. I'm
not saying I agree or even follow exactly the way I was taught as I
believe much of this is a matter of preference opposed to a matter of
right or wrong. That being said though, I do like to try to experiment
and play with format and structure, but all things in moderation.

To be quite honest, nowadays the rules are meant to be broken, grin.
Hose Seramago is notorious for not using punctuation. He doesn't use
quotations for dialogue or separate paragraphs or use commas, and he's a
freaking Nobel literature prize winner. The couple of books I had to
read by him, I found distracting because of his non-use of punctuation.
He also focuses on plot as opposed to characters, which is another big
no-no they say these days, yet some people get away with it, as
case-in-point with this example.

Cormac McCarthy is another current author who plays with format and
structure. His book The Road is one long narrative with no para breaks.
I actually like how he does this. It's a visual representation of the
plot of the book, and in this case, I think it works.

Jamaica Kincaid played with format and structure. She has a short story
that like McCarthy has no para breaks.

The ellipsis was another punctuation we were told to not use. The same
instructor I've already mentioned absolutely despised ellipsis's and
would lecture you for using them. If you used it more than once in a
piece, she flipped out, grin. I'm not against the use of the ellipsis's,
but I do think it should be used sparingly. Visually, I think it's a bit
distracting.

Literary fiction and popular fiction seem to juxtapose one another most
the time. What most deem *bad writing,* often is what sells the best to
the public. You can't really say something is right or wrong these days
because even the so-called experts can't seem to agree.

My program at university was in the fine arts department and revolved
around the workshop. For electives, I had to take English classes, and
the writing classes I took in the English department were so greatly
different from my classes in my major over in the FA department. The way
in which they workshopped , taught, the school of thought, it was so
vastly different in many ways.

So at the end of the day, do whatever the hell you want, smile.

Bridgit
Message: 29