[stylist] CNF question- How to write hmm hmm good

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 2 21:50:33 UTC 2013

Anita,

If you really want to write it as dialogue, it would just be, "Hmm, hmm
good." However, perhaps consider showing an action to indicate the joy
of the taste instead of writing it as dialogue. Nothing wrong with this
per say, but sometimes it's better to capture something like this by
"showing" rather than "telling," though dialogue would be okay. Maybe
something like, The saccharine scent of the cake filled her nostrils,
and she could taste the sugar-goodness in her mouth.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 11