[stylist] The Monkey in the Zoo: creative writing prompt

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Sun Feb 3 01:19:58 UTC 2013

Shawn,
I want to apologize for not giving feedback yet on your Rondeau, and your
trip to the IRS for the 1099s. I have read them both twice, but it will take
time for me to isolate my remarks and tie them to the correct line. You are
being very prolific and there are interesting thoughts in all of your work.
I will go ahead and comment on this particular piece about China.
First, I agree with Lynda's critique in all aspects. Adding your daughter's
reactions would make it  perhaps more like a creative non-fiction
assignment.
However, as it stands right now, I believe it has merit if submitted to a
travel magazine. I say this because, on my bucket list, I had an item,
"Walking the Great Wall of China." Then, when I could no longer consider, I
wished someone would make a movie of it to be shown in the big wrap-around
theatres. (IMAC)? only that last time, I could get the gist, and certainly
hear the commentary.
You told details of your experience on it to the degree, that I feel that
item from my bucket list was partially fulfilled. Since, I am not of
"adoptive" quality, I find that I am totally interested without reference to
your daughter. Why not submit it to two different audiences. The blind or
otherwise impaired  wanting to adopt, and also, the traveler. There are so
many magazines in each category, and I think many writers reformat the same
article for many submissions.
I am going to forward your article to a friend who has been in China once,
and wants very much to make another trip. She is a youngster, being only 70,
and you mention many of the things she has not seen yet.
Keep on writing in the many genres you use.
My computers sometimes starts doing the "bump and grind", so loud I cannot
understand JAWS and then I turn it off.  However, in time, I will make
comments on your other writings.
Jackie