[stylist] Black History month- A poem

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Mon Feb 4 17:25:17 UTC 2013

Thanks for your comments Bridgit.  I had not seen your post or I would have
commented sooner - I have a backlog on my emails right now.

 A good way to enter into the poem, or into any other piece of writing, is
to ask questions to try to figure out  what she might be saying to me,
personally. What is she telling "me" as I read it?

Sometimes we are afraid or feel inadequate when we face things that are
different or unfamiliar. I sure am! Reading a poem can be so rewarding when
we stop long enough and put in a little bit of time to digest what we have
read. It is o.k. to NOT be familiar with poetry - and it is o.k. to feel
estranged from this thing. That is normal.

I like to ask some questions of the poem itself.

Here are a couple of other questions that we could begin to think about. I
think the questions are essential for us to begin to think of the poem as a
conversation between Gwendolyn Brooks and me.

It has to be personalized or else it remains an object and not an internal
dialogue. I begin to read a poem and imagine I am seated beside the writer
and we are having a conversation together.

The question I ask first here, is

"What is the image of the self that Gwendolyn Brooks is sharing with me? She
wants me to know something about her self. She is opening her heart and
speaking of her self. I want to listen and to hear what she is telling me.

Robert really hit the core of the matter when he talked about how this poem
became so personal to him. He could hear the longing of the person speaking
in the poem and he could understand that sense of longing because he, too,
felt it in his own life experiences.

I think one of the universal things  here, is that we all feel a longing to
be someone else or to have someone else's experience in life. I can think of
many times in my life, even as a very small child, when I wanted to be or do
something that someone else was doing. The grass is often greener on the
other side - until we get there and discover it might be artificial turf.

Who is the personna in the poem? Who is it that is speaking to us?
What  clues do we have as to whom  might be speaking?
Look for the clues directly inside of the poem - what is she telling us, in
her own words?

How do I feel as I read this poem?
What words are creating a feeling for me as I read it?
We will always find the answers to our questions IN the poem - and we can go
from there.

Lynda