[stylist] The ponder to take to another level

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 8 21:41:26 UTC 2013

I think this is a travesty that kids aren't learning exactly what
sighted kids are learning. Clumped together, we all learn at different
paces with different methods, and we all have an individual
comprehension level, but at most sighted kids (and there are exceptions
to this) but in general, sighted kids are learning together at the same
time, receiving the same information with the same material. Blind kids
are often not afforded the opportunity to access said material at the
same time or in the same way. Kids who need Braille but don't receive
instruction or proper instruction, are expected to learn either verbally
or via computer, or perhaps both, but they don't have the opportunity to
pick up information in the same way as their sighted peers. Kids who
have some level of vision are expected to use this vision, and for many
it's difficult and tedious, leading them to develop a learning delay and
worse, giving up. And it's the education system insisting upon this
disgrace. Regardless what people think, this states that blind kids
aren't worth the extra effort, and that they don't qualify for the same
opportunities in life as nondisabled kids. I wrote a paper on this at
university, but it's such a complicated issue that begins to run off in
various directions once you research, but it's a problem that needs
immediate addressing. And of course, education in general needs major
reform and growth.

Going back to a comment of Robert's, I heard once of a student who only
read audio material. He was not aware of punctuation and grammar, and he
thought the phrase, "Once upon a time," was a single word. This just
shouldn't be happening.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 12