[stylist] The ponder to take to another level

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Fri Feb 8 23:10:08 UTC 2013

Bridgit,
The other thing is that when a sighted kid has a learning deficit, they look
all over the place to see what the problem is. Is the child suffering from a
learning disability? Are there circumstances at home that are holding the
child back? Is the child dealing with a physical or psychological condition
that hasn't been diagnosed?

When a blind child falls behind, it's because the child is blind. They don't
look any further than that. If a sighted person can't find their keys,
they're not paying attention, or they just forgot, no big deal. If I can't
find my keys, it's because I can't see them. We can't have one deficit or
problem that can't be explained away by the fact that we're blind. It burns
me up. It would be one thing if it were just me; after all, that was 50
years ago. But, it persists today in a state that is little altered despite
laws, technology and the extraordinary achievements of some blind
individuals.
Donna