[stylist] To ponder- to take to another level

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 09:29:31 UTC 2013

Lynda,

Very good question. It's a two-fold problem.

First, Braille isn't as accessible as it should be. With digital
Braille, it is making material more available but not as much as print.

Second, the schools push kids who may have some level of vision to use
print, but nine times out of ten, it's difficult for them to read. And
kids determined by the education system as eligible for Braille
instruction, are either not given the opportunity because of the lack of
resources, or the instruction is poor.

School administrators will tell you they have criteria in which they
evaluate a student, and they alone determine if a student qualifies for
Braille instruction or if they can use print. The system is flawed, and
due to the lack of resources and teachers who know Braille, most
students are forced to use print. At the end of the day, it's easier to
force print upon them as opposed to learning Braille. And sadly, many of
the Braille instructors teach Braille from a print book. Many of them
can not read or write the code themselves. This is like me teaching
Spanish even though I can't speak it myself.

There's a lot more to this issue, and many here can speak personally on
the topic, but these are two of the major problems.

I feel blessed that I learned to read and write sighted because I didn't
have to deal with this issue. It's sad and unfortunate and needs a
resolution, but school administrators around the country refuse to
listen to people like us, people who use Braille on a daily basis,
because we are not the "experts," they are. This is obviously a flawed
manner of thinking, but what can we do? And many parents aren't aware of
services out there like state rehab centers for the blind or
organizations like the Federation. The Federation has an entire division
dedicated to issues like this among other things. It's the Parents of
Blind Children division. Nationally, it's one of the strongest and
largest divisions, but on the state level, not every state has a
sub-division, like Nebraska for instance.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 16