[stylist] Quote to ponder - taken to another level -spelling isfirst, recognition of a pattern

Anita Ogletree yrstrli at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 01:56:17 UTC 2013

Well I will have to say that I have had a dream or two where I
flew and I went blind around 2 years old from what was believed
to have been Encephalitis.  This disease destroyed the optic
ner"e.  I learned a few yeins ajo that the optic nerve is designf
to take images and transmit them to the cornea I think?
I may be off on this but I understand why it is that I can detect
objects in a room--the furniture, wh's on a wabbl, lights, but I
cannot figure out how big the objects are or tell what they are
with that same vision.  Sometimes the objects appear to be closer
at times when they are farther away and vice versa.  And it can
also be very distracting when attempting to travel independently.
Of coursethereare times when I miss objects and bump into them.
(Yikes! That happens with people as well." (smiles)

Anita

It is just
>that we the blind, out of necessity and, I guess opportunity,
will learn to
>really perfect it.  I use it all the time, everyday! I remember
the first
>time that after going blind that I recognized it was possible.
(I was
>walking around our backyard, this was like within a few weeks or
so after
>the car accident --- I felt-heard a cloths-line pole right off my
shoulder.
>Boy, in my independent travel, me and my cane, I am super slowed
down if I
>lose the metal tip off the end of my cane.  I mean, hey --- the
cane is only
>five foot four in length, and at arm's length I can only reach
out seven or
>so feet (with the angle factored in) --- where with my metal tip,
the sound
>cues I send out all around me, I can pick up on parked cars 20-30
feet
>before I get to them, or a building that is across the street, or
I can
>follow a wall of a building and keep a steady distance from it
and then can
>pick up on a recess doorway.  And much, much more.

>Another cute thought is - in regards to picking up on a smile,
isn't it one
>of the more pleasant sounds, hearing the smile in a voice!?
Recently, a
>friend was playing a trick on me, I was to meet her in a
classroom, and when