[stylist] Representing blindness

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Tue Feb 12 17:25:45 UTC 2013

Yes, Bridget, it is all about personal taste and style.
When my children were small I was always in jeans and tops, too, that were
comfortable. I've always worked out at a gym, all my life, so I would often
be dressed in gym clothes - still do that. Our mornings begin before
daylight, at the gym. But even there, I come in with make-up and matching
clothing. That is just my personal preference; I feel good when I know I
look good.

In my professional life, I love to "dress" up and when you are lecturing to
an audience in the classroom, you have to be on your game.  The students
expect it and they look forward to it.  They actually make comments to us on
jewelry, clothing, shoes, etc.
 I worked at a private college for priviledged students and it is not
anything like the way a person might dress for a public school environment.
Profs in the English Department were all fashion foreward  women.

When I worked in California at a college, it was very different. One
engineering professor even taught in her bare feet.  It's very interesting
how where we live influences how we look, too. There, it was very casual for
students and profs and staff - but here on the east coast it is much less
casual in the same situations. We are far less easy-going that what I
experienced there.

I have always loved fashion since a  young teenager - always had
subscriptions to the high-end fashion magazines and was always  aware of
trends. I am still like that because that is something I love.  I have
Neiman Marcus taste.  I used to work for that company, and it was so
exciting when I could give everyone on my Christmas gift list a Neiman
Marcus Christmas.

My great granddaughter is 15 years old, and she has just signed a contract
with a major modeling agency. We are all thrilled for her and so excited
that her dream is beginning to reveal itself. She first spoke of modeling
and going to Paris when she was only 2 or 3 years old.  Fashion is something
that, in our family, we all discuss and enjoy.  Even after major sight loss,
it is still something I just love.

Lynda